Internet of Things
We design, prototype and manufacture hardware with embedded software to create products that provide actionable insights from sensors and networks.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is exploding and fast becoming ubiquitous; the promise to improve the way we live through connecting day-to-day objects to an intelligent network is now a reality. There has been a massive shift in our ability to generate, analyse, and act on, information collected from the physical environment.
To DiUS, the most exciting and significant part of IoT is gaining insights and making predictions from all the data that is collected from the ‘things’, rather than just taking measurements. Visualisation is applied to understand patterns and look for trends, and then applying advanced data science techniques to greatly improve the ability to forecast outcomes and make better decisions.
Building an IoT product is complex and requires numerous disciplines to design, build and deploy at scale. To make things work well requires an appreciation of the end to end system and interaction of all components. With expertise in software, firmware and hardware development, implementation of IoT platforms, managing device manufacturing and deployment at scale, DiUS is unique in this space.
Our IoT services approach includes
- Service Design: designing the optimal experience taking into account interaction design, technology strategy, horizon planning and market trends
- Research to understand customer pain points and desires: including customer journeys, user research, personas and experience design
- Experiment to test a hypothesis and approach
- Build IoT prototypes fast and cost-effectively, so an idea can be built and tested in the hands of some customers before an organisation decides to go ahead with final manufacturing.
- Best practice for protecting data at rest and firmware applications from direct physical access using security keys and read/write restrictions based on hardware and features, as well as providing best practice for device authentication identity and authorisation when accessing IoT infrastructure.
- Design and development
- devices with broadband networking technologies such as LTE 3/4G Cat1/M1, NB-IoT, WiFi, Ethernet and, low-rate wireless protocols such as IEEE 802.15.4, Mesh Radio 6LowPAN, ZigBee, LoRa and Sigfox
- systems that support operation, administration and provisioning of networked devices including remote software upgrade capability
- Big Data and exploratory visualisation, as well as machine Learning and custom algorithms to make predictions
- Local and international regulatory certification and approval of products
- Manufacturing & Support; While we don’t offer manufacturing and support services directly, DiUS has successfully helped businesses with their supplier search and to understand how to successfully engage and manage an ongoing supplier relationship.
We build in feedback loops to ensure that a ongoing focus is placed on gathering user insights and evaluating technologies to ensure the solution continues to be fit for purpose and meets users needs.
Data transfer between devices and Iot infrastructure utilising standard IoT protocols such as MQTT both direct and over websockets, COAP, AMQP, DDS, HTTP.
WAN / Backhaul Communications
Connectivity to the internet is provided through various wireless comms methods; LTE 3G/4G/5G, NB-IoT, Sigfox, LoRA.
LAN / HAN Communications
Local device connectivity provided using; WiFi, Bluetooth, ZigBee and other IEEE 802.15.4 wireless methods.
Embedded Operating Systems
Operating systems/kernels designed for use with embedded devices such as; Linux, Buildroot, Yocto, FreeRTOS.
Hardware, Computer Systems
Flexible hardware / processors used to construct devices; Raspberry Pi, Arduino, NodeMCU, ARM Processors and MCUs.
The AWS IoT platform enables devices to connect to AWS Services and other devices in a secure and scalable manner, core features include:
- AWS IOT Device SDK
- Device Gateway
- Message Broker
- Device Shadow
- Rules Engine
- Authentication and Authorisation